Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Coffee Cake: Take One

Last Monday I decided to come home from work and make a coffee cake. I know it sounds completely random, and a little strange, but that's what I did. It may have been a combination of having an exceptionally long day at work (I find baking incredibly therapeutic) and simply wanting to bake something I've never baked before. Thank goodness I had Supper Club on Tuesday night and was able to give some away! :-)

Overall, I thought this recipe turned out quite well. The cake was moist, delicious, and just the right amount of sweet. I've decided, however, I prefer a coffee cake that has a yummy streusel topping. So, while I would consider my first attempt at making coffee cake a success, I would not say I've found my "go to" recipe. Alas, stay tuned for Coffee Cake: Take Two!

Cake Ingredients:
3/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c sour cream

Filling Ingredients:
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 cup bundt pan. In a large mixing bowl combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with sour cream.

For the filling, mix brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon together in a separate bowl and set aside.

Spread 1/3 of the batter (approximately 2 cups) into the bundt pan and sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling (approximately 6 tablespoons). Repeat this twice.

Bake for 60 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


fresh out of the oven

yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment