Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cookie Dough Brownies

I recently realized that we had a package of brownie mix sitting in our pantry, just begging to be used. Since we don't usually keep sweets in our house for no good reason I was perplexed when I stumbled upon them, but decided to take it as an opportunity to experiment!

I began flipping through my trusty recipe box and found a cookie dough truffle recipe I had tried sometime last year. I thought to myself, I love cookie dough, and I love brownies, so why not?! I simply took the cookie dough recipe from the truffles and decided to make a sort of "filling" for the brownies. For the top chocolate layer I would typically use Baker's chocolate, but I had half a bag of mini chocolate chips leftover and it just made sense to use those instead. They worked perfectly.

My brother, sister, and brother-in-law kindly indulged me in taking on the jobs of taste testers, and they gave the brownies RAVE reviews! My husband even had a few bars, which is a big deal for those of you that know him... and his complete lack of a sweet tooth! :-) Enjoy and happy baking!

Ingredients:
1 pkg fudge brownies
1 c butter, softened
1 c packed brown sugar
4 tbs milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c white sugar
2 c AP flour
2 c mini chocolate chips, divided
1 tbs Crisco

Begin by baking the brownies in a 13x9 inch dish according to the directions on the package. Once they are done baking, allow them to cool completely before moving on to the next step. If I'm really in a hurry, it helps to put them in the refrigerator or freezer for just a few minutes.

For the cookie dough filling, combine the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, milk, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Cream these 5 ingredients together, add the flour, and stir to combine. Once the flour is fully incorporated into the batter, add 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine them evenly into the batter. Spread the cookie dough mixture onto the cooled brownies and chill for 15 minutes.

For the chocolate topping, melt the remaining 1 cup mini chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon Crisco. If you're like me, you cringe at the very idea of using Crisco, but it will help keep the chocolate shiny and pretty! Try heating them together in the microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. If the chips don't melt together when stirred, continue heating in the microwave at 15 second increments. Once melted, spread over the cookie dough and chill until set. Then cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment