Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Strawberry Crumb Bars

Quite possibly, one of my favorite things about summer is all of the beautiful, fresh fruit available for my eating and baking pleasure. I like to pretend that it makes up for the sweltering heat we suffer through every year in North Carolina...

So, as I perused the produce section at the grocery store last week, I was delighted to notice that strawberries were on sale! I simply couldn't resist buying as many as I thought I could fit in our refrigerator. I absolutely love strawberries, and could (shamefully) sit down and eat a pound of them all by myself. However, I happen to be the only one in my house that loves them, so I had to find a good use for them before they went to waste.

After searching recipe books, websites, and blogs I stumbled upon a strawberry crumb bar recipe, courtesy of Can You Stay For Dinner.

strawberry crumb bars

Don't they look amazing?! Honestly, they taste even better than they look. This is a perfectly refreshing treat that can be served as a dessert or enjoyed in the morning with a nice cup of coffee. I imagine it would be equally delicious with many other types of fruit: blueberries, peaches, etc. I hope you try it, and enjoy it as much as I did! Happy baking!!

Ingredients:
1 2/3 c sugar, divided
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3 c AP flour
1 c butter, cold and diced into small pieces
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
Juice and zest of one lemon
5 c chopped fresh strawberries
1 tbs plus 2 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 and line a 13x9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing for an overhang so that you can remove the bars easily from the pan. Coat foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Whisk 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest together in a large bowl. Use a fork to blend in the cold butter and egg. Once blended, the dough should be crumbly. Pat approximately half of the dough into your prepared pan.

In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, strawberries, and cornstarch. Evenly spread the strawberry mixture over the crust. Then crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the bars cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.



No comments:

Post a Comment