Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Happy Easter!

First and foremost, I would like to wish everyone a belated Happy Easter! Ours was a blissfully relaxing weekend filled the company of good friends and lots of yummy food...

On Saturday, I enjoyed a lovely "girls night" with two of my fabulous friends, Lillian and Allie. We left the hubsands at home and started our evening with dinner at Vivace. For anyone who loves Italian food, this North Hills restaurant is a MUST try. I have never eaten anything there that was less than excellent, and this weekend was no exception. I decided to try something new, and ordered the shrimp risotto. It was rich and creamy, and absolutely amazing. I highly recommend! For dessert and cocktails we ventured across the street to Coquette, the charming French Brasserie on the other side of North Hills. For dessert, Lillian recommended the profiteroles: three puff pastries filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with a warm chocolate sauce. I've heard quite a bit about Coquette's profiteroles, and I must say, I was not disappointed. The pastries were light and sweet, and the chocolate sauce added just the right amount of decadence.

Profiteroles... mmmmm

On Sunday Jason and I put together a small brunch to celebrate our first Easter as a married couple! On the menu was a spiral cut glazed ham and a potato and bacon quiche. Those of you who know me, know that I don't typically eat pork (which obviously means that I don't cook it, either). My husband, however, can't seem to get enough of it... so, this weekend I officially cooked my first ham. I was a little scared, but Jason said it turned out great, so I'll just take his word for it. I was much more excited about the quiche. Typically, I would make it with turkey bacon, but it doesn't crumble as well as pork bacon so I caved in and bought the "real" stuff, as my Mom would say. I was very happy with how it turned out: light, fluffy, and absolutely delicious! I'll definitely make this one again. For anyone who loves quiche, I've posted the recipe below.

Ingredients:
6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used milk instead and it worked just fine)
Salt and pepper
2 cups of sliced or diced potatoes, cooked but not too well done
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Combine the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Layre the potatoes, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top.

The Ingredients

layered and ready to bake

Bake for 35-45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.

fresh out of the oven

delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment