Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Slice of Heaven

Over the past few years I have developed a reverent appreciation for the art of baking. I would like to think that, given the chance to start my career over, I would have become a pastry chef. There is something divinely therapeutic about being in the kitchen and creating beautiful works of art that (hopefully) taste even better than they look! Unfortunately, my culinary experiments are still a work in progress, and I remain endlessly captivated by the talents of others.

Yesterday evening, my darling husband and I enjoyed dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, The Point, with two of our dearest friends, Anna and Landon White. After dinner, and in a moment of weakness, I was persuaded to walk across the street with Anna to Hayes Barton Cafe for dessert. All of their desserts are homemade, and are some of the most beautiful cakes, pies, tortes and cheesecakes I have ever laid eyes on! After much debate, we finally decided on the the Heath Bar Cake - YUM!


This decadent dessert is three layers of chocolate cake, soaked with Kahlua, and filled with chocolate pudding and heath bar pieces. It is iced with a dark chocolate ganache, sprinkled with more heath bar pieces, and garnished with homemade whipped cream. Needless to say, we were in Heaven! After eating entirely too much of the best cake I've ever had, I left completely satisified (with a wee bit of a tummy ache) and eagerly anticipating our next visit to try yet another delectable treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment